Blue Oyster Mushroom TostadasRecipe by: Noreen Wasti
This recipe is all about layered flavors and textures - and it can easily be made vegan by omitting the cotija cheese.
Noreen Wasti, Brightland's Chef in Residence, has shared the recipe for crunchy, tangy blue oyster mushroom tostadas. This vibrant dish is full of flavor with hearty seared blue oyster mushrooms (courtesy of Smallhold — mushroom growing connoisseurs extraordinaire).
"Toppings include (but are not limited to) cilantro, jalapeño, cotija, and lime. It may look like a lot of steps, but it’s actually just assembling a few simple things — the onions, tostadas, and avocado can all be prepared ahead of time." - Noreen
Quick Pickled Onions
- 1/2 of a red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Brightland PARASOL Champagne Vinegar
- 1 Place onions in a bowl with PARASOL vinegar and salt. Mix to combine and let sit for at least 20 minutes.
- 6 small corn tortillas
- Brightland AWAKE olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- 1 Preheat oven to 400F.
- 2 Brush each tortilla with AWAKE olive oil on both sides and season with salt.
- 3 Place on a sheet pan(s) in a single layer and bake for 10 minutes, flipping at the halfway mark, until crisp and golden. Set aside.
- 2 avocados
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Halve the avocados and remove the pits. Scoop out the flesh and place in a bowl with lime juice and salt. Use a fork to mash the avocado well and set aside.
Seared Blue Oyster Mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp Brightland AWAKE olive oil, plus more as needed
- 2 cloves garlic, divided
- 16 ounces (2 boxes) Smallhold blue oyster mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin, divided
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 Remove woody, tough ends from the blue oyster mushrooms and gently tear, keeping some clusters intact.
- 2 Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with AWAKE.
- 3 Once the oil is glistening, add one garlic clove and half of the mushrooms in a single layer.
- 4 Add a 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, and a 1/2 teaspoon salt. Toss to coat.
- 5 Let mushrooms sear without moving, about 3-5 minutes per side, until golden brown and crisp at the edges. Remove from the pan and discard garlic clove.
- 6 Repeat the steps for the rest of the mushrooms adding more AWAKE olive oil as needed with the remaining garlic clove, cayenne pepper, ground cumin, and salt.
- 1 Spread the mashed avocado evenly onto a tostada and place the seared mushrooms on top with a few pickled onions.
- 2 Finish with torn cilantro, jalapeño slices, a sprinkle of cotija cheese, and a squeeze of lime. Repeat for remaining tostadas and enjoy immediately.
- Handful fresh cilantro, torn
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese
- Lime wedges