Plum Upside Down Olive Oil and Almond CakeRecipe by: Stephanie Loo
Stephanie Loo, a New York based pastry chef, has created a delectable Plum Upside-Down Olive Oil and Almond Cake made with our AWAKE olive oil. Equally delicious as it is eye-catching, this cake is sure to impress.
"Plums and almonds are closely related and make a natural pairing in desserts. Together with the herbaceous notes of AWAKE, the combination of plums, almonds, and olive oil is the perfect end-of-summer trifecta for this simple but striking upside down cake." - Stephanie
For the Caramel
- 1⁄2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup (57g) water
- 1 Combine granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the mixture turns amber, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat immediately.
For the Cake
- 2 large plums (about 250g)
- 1 cup (120g) all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup (32g) almond flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄3 cup (80g) plain whole milk yogurt
- 2⁄3 cup (133g) Brightland AWAKE olive oil, plus more for greasing pan
- 2 large eggs (100g)
- 1 Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8-inch cake pan with Brightland AWAKE olive oil. Line the bottom of the pan with a round of parchment paper and grease that as well.
- 2 Pit the plums and cut into slices about 1/2-inch thick. Arrange the slices in a pattern on the bottom of the cake pan, covering the entire pan.
- 3 Make the caramel (above) and pour evenly over the plums in the cake pan.
- 4 In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, and Kosher salt.
- 5 In a large bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, almond extract, yogurt, and olive oil. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking to combine after each addition.
- 6 Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Pour the batter into the cake pan and spread evenly over the plums and caramel.
- 7 Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- 8 Remove from the oven and set on a cooling rack. Immediately run a small offset spatula or small knife around the edge of the cake, place a large plate on top and invert the cake onto the plate.
- 9 Peel off the parchment paper and serve the cake warm or at room temperature.