Meet our next Summer Pasta Series contributor! Kate is a Portland-based nutritionist with a master's degree in nutrition, the blogger and creator of Vegukate, recipe developer, and photographer. She believes in eating real, nourishing whole foods and is an advocate for eating intuitively, cooking with the seasons, and everything avocados. When Kate isn't creating content for her 9-5 job, she's hiking with her husband, blogging and creating recipes, going to spin classes, and exploring farmer's markets! Read on for our interview with the lovely Kate, and her incredible Summer Pasta Salad!
Interview with Claire FontanettaWhat do you like to keep out on your kitchen countertop or "kitchen shelfie"?
The essentials! Currently my kitchen countertop has my Vitamix blender, Peppermill and sea salt mill, coffee pot, a jar of essential wooden spoons, a wine rack (currently packed with rosé) and a knife block. I like to keep my (tiny Portland apartment) countertops very uncluttered and simple!What does living in a golden state meant to you?
Being true to you and your body, nourishing your relationships, and living in optimism and joy!What independent magazine inspires you?
I really like Chickpea Magazine as well as Edible Portland!If you had to eat one food for the rest of your life (but receive all the nutritional benefits + look fabulous), what would each of you choose?
This is SO hard. Truly! Probably sweet potatoes - I'm addicted.
Stone Fruit and Basil Pasta Salad with Shredded Halloumi
- 1 pound dried shell or elbow pasta (gluten-free, if desired)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 peaches, sliced thinly
- 2 plums, sliced thinly
- 1/4 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup fresh peas
- 3 cups fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 4 ounces halloumi cheese, sliced into 1-inch slices
- 4 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup of Brightland ALIVE olive oil
- 1 Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and add to a large bowl. Drizzle pasta with a teaspoon of Brightland's ALIVE and toss to combine. Set pasta aside to cool while you prep other ingredients.
- 2 Add tomatoes, peaches, plums, red onion, and peas to pasta bowl. Toss to combine.
- 3 In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard, dried oregano and basil, minced garlic, and sea salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- 4 Pan sear halloumi: to a dry non-stick pan, add slices of halloumi. Cook 2-3 minutes, flip, and cook an additional 2-3 minutes, or until halloumi's crust is golden. Remove from pan and tear into bite sized pieces.
- 5 Prepare pasta salad: Pour dressing over pasta and mix to combine. Add in torn basil and halloumi and fold to combine. Season with additional sea salt and pepper.
- 6 Serve pasta salad immediately or let chill. Enjoy!