One of the best things about living in Los Angeles is the exposure to wonderful, plant-based cooking. Citizen Mustard is an upscale, vegan dining experience founded by Chef Megan Marlow. Hosting monthly luxury dinners, Chef Megan and her team create delicious, ethical meals of which a portion is donated to rotating charities. For their latest dinner, Chef Megan created a scrumptious olive oil gelato, featuring Brightland's ALIVE!
Olive Oil Gelato
2 cups coconut milk (the thick white part from roughly two full-fat cans)
1 cup milk alternative "cream"*
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 TBSP refined coconut oil (melted)
1 tsp coarse ground sea salt
1/2 cup Brightland's ALIVE
Maldon salt for sprinkling on top
*The milk alternative should be a high-fat content milk (i.e. cashew, walnut, etc.). Homemade is always best as you can create a much thicker version like a "cream". To create your own "cream", soak one cup of your desired nuts or seeds in hot water for about 30 minutes (or overnight in cold water). Drain the nuts/seeds and add them to a high-speed blender (i.e. Vitamix). Slowly add water to the blender until you get a consistency similar to a pancake batter. Use 1 cup of this for your gelato.
1. Add the coconut milk, milk alternative, granulated sugar, coconut oil, and salt to a medium saucepan. Heat on low until the sugar and salt have completely dissolved into the liquid.
2. Pour the ingredients from the saucepan into a high-speed blender (or leave it in the pan and use an immersion blender).
3. Slowly add Brightland's ALIVE while the rest of the ingredients are blending.
4. Transfer the mixture to a clean bowl and refrigerate until chilled (roughly 2 hours).
5. Once chilled, transfer your gelato mixture to an ice cream maker and allow it to churn until your desired consistency is met.
6. Transfer your gelato to a freezer safe container and place a piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper directly onto the gelato. Push down gently to create a seal - this will prevent ice crystals from forming on the gelato. Place it in the freezer.
7. When you're ready to indulge in your gelato, top it with a drizzle of Brightland's ALIVE and a sprinkle of Maldon sea salt! Enjoy!