Katy Kim is a college student and avid home cook based in Evanston, Illinois. She has shared a wonderfully decadent challah French toast recipe with us—a terrific use for any leftover challah.
"This is my new favorite French toast enhanced with the subtle floral and herbal notes of Brightland's ALIVE olive oil, Wildflower honey, and chamomile. The olive oil whipped cream complements the subtle sweetness of the honey and makes this bright french toast the perfect start to any frosty winter morning." - Katy Kim
- 1 cup of chilled heavy whipping cream
- Challah Bread (preferably stale, cut into two thick ¾ inch slices)
- 2 large eggs
- Splash of cream or milk
- 2 chamomile tea bags (preferably Bigelow)
- Knob of butter
- Seasonal fruit
- 1 tsp of Brightland ALIVE olive oil
- 1 tbsp of Brightland Kauai wildflower honey, more to serve
Bowl, Handmixer, Knife, Fork, Baking Dish, Cast Iron/Non-Stick Pan, Heat-Proof Spatula
- 1 Prepare the olive oil whipped cream. In a deep bowl, use a hand mixer on high speed to whip cream until soft peaks. Once soft peaks are reached, fold in olive oil and set aside. Refrigerate.
- 2 Using a sharp knife, cut challah bread into two thick 3/4 inch slices. Set aside.
- 3 In a flat deep baking dish, combine eggs, cream, and honey. Cut open and add the contents of two chamomile tea bags to the mixture and whisk until well combined.
- 4 Working carefully, place each side of the challah bread in the mixture to absorb the liquid briefly for about 30 seconds. You can also use the tines of a fork to poke small holes in the bread to absorb the custard mixture. Repeat, until the bread is saturated, but not soggy.
- 5 In a cast-iron pan on medium heat, add a generous knob of butter. Once the butter starts to sizzle, add the soaked bread to the pan. Pour any remaining custard over the bread. Add more butter if necessary before flipping, and cook until each side is golden brown.
- 6 Once each side is golden brown, remove from the pan. Drizzle generously with honey, and add a splash of olive oil if desired to taste. Serve with seasonal fruit and whipped cream. Enjoy immediately.
Images by Katy Kim.