Pakistani Style Spiced KebabsRecipe by: Noreen Wasti
Servings: 12-14 kebabs
Noreen Wasti, Brightland's Chef in Residence, has shared the recipe for flavorful Pakistani Style Spiced Kebabs to jazz up your weekly meal rotation.
"These simple, everyday spiced kebabs are no-fuss and perfect for an anytime meal. They require just a few staples — ground beef (ground chicken or lamb would work great as well), onion, chili, cilantro, breadcrumbs, and an egg with a mix of pantry spices."
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef, preferably 80/20
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1 serrano chili (or jalapeño), chopped finely
- 1/2 of one bunch of cilantro (tender stems included), chopped finely
- 1 tbsp of Brightland AWAKE olive oil
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (use 1/2 teaspoon if sensitive to spice)
- 1 tsp. salt
"Many South Asian dishes start with a rotation of the same spices — ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, and chili (also turmeric). For this recipe I used the Essential Spices collection from The Spice House, bringing warmth, heat, and flavor." -Noreen Wasti
- 1 Add the ground beef, grated onion, chili, cilantro, breadcrumbs, egg, ground ginger, granulated garlic, ground cumin, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, and salt to a large bowl. Mix until combined (better with clean hands).
- 2 With a 1/4 cup measure, scoop out the ground beef mixture and use your hands to form into round patties — about 3 inches in diameter.
- 3 Heat a large skillet over medium-hight heat with 1 tablespoon of AWAKE olive oil and fry the kebabs until deep brown and charred on both sides. Tip: use a spatula to gently smash the kebab down for more charry/crispy bits — about 4 minutes per side.
- 4 Enjoy immediately.
"The kebabs are fried in a bit of AWAKE till juicy and charred. Enjoy with a cucumber onion salad and yogurt on the side, perhaps some warm naan and chutney too — now we’re talking." -Noreen Wasti