Persimmon Vinegar Quick Pickles + Tinned Fish Rice BowlRecipe by: Noreen Wasti
Zesty and bright quick pickles are a delicious and simple way to spruce up any dish.
"These pickles are a combination of colorful crunchy cucumbers, radishes, and carrots with Brightland’s beautifully tart persimmon vinegar. Use with meals throughout the week and our personal fave — on top of a hearty rice bowl. We’ve got some ever so viral tinned fish (we had to!), greens, a perfect jammy boiled egg, and spicy mayo. Tangy, layered, and full of flavor." - Noreen Wasti
For the Quick Pickles
- 1-2 mini cucumbers / Persian cucumbers, sliced very thinly preferably with a mandolin or sharp knife
- 2 medium sized radishes, sliced very thinly preferably with a mandolin or sharp knife
- 1-2 carrots, sliced very thinly preferably with a mandolin or sharp knife
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup Brightland FOLKLORE persimmon vinegar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Place the sliced cucumbers, radishes, and carrots in a deep bowl or jar.
- 2 Mix the boiling water, persimmon vinegar, salt, and sugar in a measuring cup.
- 3 Pour the liquid mixture over the vegetables.
- 4 Cover and transfer to the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
For the Spicy Mayo
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp chili crisp of your choice
- 1 tsp Brightland FOLKLORE persimmon vinegar
- 1 Mix the mayonnaise, chili crisp, and persimmon vinegar in a small bowl until combined.
For the Rice Bowl
- 1/2 cup dry sushi rice
- 1 3.5 oz tin of smoked salmon (smoked trout or tuna would work great too)
- toppings: persimmon vinegar pickles, microgreens, chopped scallions, jammy boiled egg, spicy mayo, sesame seeds
- salt, to taste
- 1 Rinse the rice very well until the water runs clear and drain.
- 2 Bring the rice to a boil in a saucepan with 1 cup of water. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover.
- 3 Cook the rice for 15 minutes or according to the instructions on the box. Turn the heat off and let the rice steam for an additional 5 minutes with the lid on. Use a fork to fluff the grains and season with salt to taste.
- 4 To assemble, add the rice to a shallow bowl and top with the tinned salmon (flaked), persimmon vinegar pickles, microgreens, scallions, boiled egg (halved), dollops of spicy mayo, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- 5 Season with salt to taste and enjoy immediately.