BrightRx: Isabel Coss' Summer Berries Ricotta TartRecipe by: Isabel Coss
We have a special edition of BrightRx this month to celebrate our new fruit-forward vinegars. Isabel Coss has shared a beautiful Summer Berries Ricotta Tart with us using RAPTURE.
Isabel Coss is the pastry chef for Cosme and ATLA, Enrique Olvera and Daniela Soto-Innes’ contemporary Mexican restaurants in New York City, as well as Elio in Las Vegas. She first fell in love with cooking alongside her grandmother and fondly recalls early memories of the colorful candy street stands in Mexico City. She tells stories through her technique-driven desserts, celebrating and finding inspiration in local ingredients as well as the flavors she grew up with in Mexico. She took on her first kitchen job at the age of 17 as a bread baker in Enrique Olvera’s landmark restaurant Pujol in Mexico City.
"Growing up in Mexico after school I would get a 'nieve' from the street stand, my favorite flavor was always the blackberries with queso fresco. This tart is my take on those memories, I paired Brightland's RAPTURE with the berries to highlight the acidity and balance the sweetness of New York summer berries." - Isabel Coss
- 1 stick butter - unsalted softened
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2 In a bowl place butter, brown sugar, vanilla bean, salt and beat with a wooden spoon to mix.
- 3 Add the egg to the butter mixture and beat in using the wooden spoon. Sift flour into mixture and beat just until flour is absorbed.
- 4 Flatten the dough and cover with plastic wrap, chill at least for 2 hours.
- 5 On a lightly flour surface roll out dough and line your tart shell mold or pastry ring, pock the base of a tart shell with a fork. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden. Let cool completely.
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup confectioner sugar
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 8 oz ricotta - whole milk
- Zest from 1 lemon
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 In a bowl combine yolks and sugar and mix until pale and foamy. Add the lemon zest and fold in the fresh ricotta with a spatula.
- 2 In another bowl, whip cream until soft peaks and fold together all ingredients, then reserve.
- 3 cups summer berries
- ½ cup agave syrup
- 1 bunch lemon verbena or mint
- 1/4 cup Brightland RAPTURE balsamic Vinegar
- 1 In a medium pot place two cups of berries and agave and bring to boil, then lower the temperature and slowly cook until berries are soft.
- 2 Add lemon verbena and season with Brightland's RAPTURE, then fold in the rest of the berries
- 1 Spread ricotta cream on the tart shell already cool down, place berries on top of the filling. Drizzle some RAPTURE balsamic vinegar at the end.