Orange and Shaved Fennel Salad
This wonderful winter salad is a classic in Italian cuisine.
Rethink a typical green salad and make this easy side dish with maximum crunch. Simply mix ripe winter oranges with savory fennel and a simple dressing made from Brightland's AWAKE olive oil and PARASOL Champagne vinegar. Try adding a twist and incorporate salad greens (like arugula) or swap oranges for clementines, tangerines — even grapefruit.
- 2 Navel oranges or other sweet, ripe citrus
- 1 bulb fennel
- 2 tbsp of Brightland AWAKE olive oil
- 1 tbsp of Brightland PARASOL Champagne vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Cut the oranges into segments and transfer the segments, along with any juices that have accumulated on work surface, to a bowl. Slice the fennel bulb very thinly - we recommend a mandoline.
- 2 Add fennel to the bowl and, if desired, a handful of fronds.
- 3 Drizzle AWAKE olive oil and PARASOL Champagne vinegar and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.