Squash Risotto with Crispy Sage & ParmRecipe by: Chloe Lucas-Walsh
Chloe Lucas-Walsh, an LA-based recipe developer, writer, and food stylist, has shared an extra delicious risotto dish featuring sweet, autumnal delicata squash — enjoy it with loved ones this season.
"This recipe does have a few steps, but I promise they are all worth it for the final dish! The different preparations for the delicata squash each add their own special thing, and each make the dish more sumptuous than the next. The cubes of delicata almost confit, they become sweet and jammy when submerged in the Brightland olive oil. The roasted, then blended delicata adds a cozy creaminess to the already unctuous risotto rice, and the sage brings a much needed earthiness." - Chloe Lucas-Walsh
- 2 delicata squashes
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup of risotto rice
- 1 cup of dry white wine
- 8 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 cup of parmesan (plus more to serve)
- 6 large leaves of sage
- Flaky salt
- Generous glugs of Brightland AWAKE olive oil
- 1 Begin by cutting both of the delicata squash in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds with a spoon and discard the seeds.
- 2 Next, take one of the halves and dice into one inch cubes. With the next half, slice horizontally, approximately half an inch apart, creating half moon shapes.
- 3 You should be left with 2 delicata halves, the delicata cubes and the delicata half moons. Coat everything liberally with Brightland AWAKE extra virgin olive oil, and spread evenly onto a baking sheet. Make sure the 2 halves are baked flesh side down. Season with salt and pepper to taste and bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes.
- 4 In a frying pan, add a good glug of Brightland AWAKE extra virgin olive oil and the sage leaves and fry until just crisp (approximately 2 minutes). Once cooked, set on some kitchen paper to soak up any excess oil, and sprinkle liberally with salt. Save the sage oil for later!
- 5 Once the squash is fully cooked, set the cubes and half moons aside, as we will use them later. Let the remaining delicata halves cool until cool enough to handle, then remove the roasted flesh from the skin and blend in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- 6 Now to begin the risotto! Add the diced shallot and sliced garlic to a heavy bottomed pan (I like a dutch oven) with a little Brightland AWAKE extra virgin olive oil, a tsp of salt and sauté over medium heat until translucent. You can add the red pepper flakes here too.
- 7 Next add in the rice and let the rice toast in the pan with the garlic and onions for 1-2 minutes. You can now add in the cup of dry white wine and let the liquid cook off until almost gone.
- 8 Add in the first cup of vegetable stock and stir into the rice. Keep stirring until the liquid has almost absorbed. When the rice appears almost dry, add another cup of stock and repeat the process until all the stock has been used and the rice is plump and almost cooked through.
- 9 Stir the blended delicata squash into the rice, this will help the risotto achieve an extremely creamy, unctuous consistency. Next, stir in the cubes of squash and the cup of parmesan. Check for seasoning again here. Serve the risotto in your favorite bowl, with a few pieces of the half moon delicata on top, a few sage leaves, more parmesan and a generous drizzle of the sage-infused Brightland AWAKE extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy!