All olive oil is different, and the only way to pick up on important subtleties is learning how to properly taste olive oil, and what notes to be on the lookout for. We might be biased here, but we believe olive oil tastings are just as fun as wine tastings (and drinking olive oil has a few more health benefits!). Read on for tips on how to sip olive oil, and what notes make each Brightland oil so varied.
3 Tips on How to Sip Olive Oil
1. Drink water first. Olive oil has many complex and subtle notes, and it is vital to taste with a clean palette.
2. Swirl the glass around and inhale the aromas. You might detect notes of fresh cut grass or herbs!
3. Sip it like whiskey, slowly and thoughtfully. Let the oil cover the entirety of your tongue.
Inhale through your nose as you sip to intensify the flavor!
What to Look Out For When Tasting Brightland
The first thing you might notice is a sharp, peppery taste in the back of your throat. This is one of the best indications of Brightland's commitment to quality. The high antioxidant and anti-inflammatory value in its oil is what gives it that bite - its a good thing!
We crafted ALIVE, AWAKE, and LUCID with various types of olives for distinct flavors and pairing suggestions. Here are the notes to look out for with each flavor and reasons why we suggest the pairings that we do!
1. ALIVE is made with hand-picked heirloom Frantoio and Coratina olives. This oil has a smoother, nuttier taste with notes of green pear and green tomato. Due to its nuttiness, we suggest ALIVE for salads, dressings, hummus, and baked goods.
2. AWAKE is made with hand-picked heirloom Coratina olives. You might detect a more herbaceous, green, grassy taste. AWAKE's complexity makes it perfect for more robust meals, such as pastas, hearty soups, fried eggs, or roast chicken.
We love to showcase AWAKE in this Turkish egg dish
3. LUCID is made from a blend of lemon and hand-picked heirloom Frantoio olives. Citrus and zest are certainly the most prominent tasting notes for the newest member of the Brightland family. This smooth and luminous oil is perfect for scones, pancakes, pasta, and in cocktails.
Having friends over and want to host a Brightland tasting? Send us a note email@example.com, we would love to help you scheme!
Photo Credit: Williams-Sonoma