Filo Spiral Pie with Cheese & HoneyRecipe by: Noreen Wasti
Brightland's Chef in Residence, Noreen Wasti, has shared a delicious new recipe that's sure to make a splash at your next dinner party — this filo spiral pie is crispy, creamy, and easier to make than it looks.
"This stunner of a pie is inspired by Turkish borek and Greek Tiropita Strifti. Delicate sheets of filo pastry are brushed with ALIVE olive oil and filled with a savory cheese mixture. The pastry gets coiled into an impressive spiral and baked until crisp and golden. The best part is the very generous golden drizzle of California orange blossom honey on top of the pie right out of the oven. It’s the most perfect contrast of sweet and salty.
Don’t be intimidated by the paper thin filo sheets, they’re actually very forgiving and can easily be repaired with a brush of olive oil." - Noreen Wasti
- 8 ounce block feta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (not fresh mozzarella)
- 2 eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt, to taste
- 8 filo sheets, standard size is typically 14” x 18”
- Brightland ALIVE olive oil, a good amount for brushing
- sesame seeds, nigella seeds, & flaky salt, to sprinkle
- California orange blossom honey, to finish
- 1 Thaw the filo pastry sheets according to the instructions on the box.
- 2 Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a 9-inch round pan with parchment paper.
- 3 Crumble the feta into a large bowl and add the mozzarella, eggs, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt. Mix well until combined.
- 4 Unroll the filo pastry sheets carefully and keep them covered with a damp towel as you assemble.
- 5 Working one sheet at a time, place a sheet on your workspace with the longest end facing you.
- 6 Generously brush ALIVE olive oil on the filo sheet and place another sheet on top and brush again with olive oil.
- 7 Spoon the filling along the edge of the dough in a 2-inch width line. Keep a tiny gap between the filling and the ends of the sheet.
- 8 Fold the ends in on the sides over the filling and carefully roll the dough into a log away from you.
- 9 Transfer the roll to the pan and working from the outside inward, coil the roll into a spiral shape.
- 10 Repeat this process until the filling is finished and you have worked inward to complete a spiral pie in the pan. It should be 4 coils. Gently tuck and pinch the ends of the coils under each other to make sure the pie is secure.
- 12 Brush the pie generously with ALIVE olive oil, get really deep into the nooks and crevices with the olive oil.
- 13 Sprinkle the top with sesame seeds, nigella seeds, and flaky salt.
- 14 Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- 15 Once out of the oven, carefully transfer the pie to a serving dish removing the parchment paper if you’d like. Drizzle plenty of California Orange Blossom Honey on top while still warm. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- If you get any tears in the filo, you can tear small pieces from any extra filo sheets to repair them. Just brush with olive oil to seal.
- The order of the pie is: 1) filo sheet 2) brush with olive oil 3) filo sheet 4) brush with olive oil 5) filling 6) fold the ends over and roll into a log 7) spiral into the pan working inward 8) repeat