Olive Oil Cornbread with Warm Saffron Honey & Pumpkin SeedsRecipe by: Noreen Wasti
Traditions and rituals are part of what make holiday feasts special, but sometimes it can be even more fun to jazz up the typical dishes. Our Chef in Residence, Noreen Wasti, has created a delicious classic with a nontraditional twist: Olive Oil Cornbread with Warm Saffron Honey & Pumpkin Seeds.
"As a first-generation American and daughter of Pakistani immigrants our Thanksgivings always had a few twists and turns. Non-traditional mixed with the typical array of traditional dishes and a tandoori spiced turkey would somehow always end up on the table. Cornbread is a non-negotiable for me during the season and just like my Thanksgiving spreads growing up, this cornbread is a little different." - Noreen Wasti
"This recipe uses AWAKE adding richness to the batter and a deliciously moist crumb. But the best part, albeit my completely non-traditional touch, is a rich saffron honey with crunchy pumpkin seeds that gets generously doused on top." -Noreen Wasti
For the Olive Oil Cornbread
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, medium ground
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup of Brightland AWAKE olive oil + more for greasing the pan
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350F and grease an 8-inch cake pan with AWAKE olive oil.
- 2 In a large mixing bowl mix the yellow cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt till combined.
- 3 Beat eggs with the buttermilk and AWAKE olive oil in a medium bowl.
- 4 Add the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- 5 Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake until a tester comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes.
- 6 Let cool before removing from the pan.
For the Saffron Honey and Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/4 cup of Brightland California Orange Blossom Honey
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- Pinch of saffron, ground with a mortar & pestle (or just rubbed between the palms of your hands)
- pinch of flaky salt
- 1/4 cup of Brightland AWAKE olive oil
- 1 Add the honey, AWAKE olive oil, pumpkin seeds, saffron, and salt to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- 2 Let the honey and pumpkin seeds mixture loosen up and caramelize slightly, stirring often. About 1 minute.
- 3 Remove from the heat and immediately pour over the cornbread while still warm.