Strawberry Crumble with Pistachio, Black Sesame & Olive Oil ToppingRecipe by: Noreen Wasti
This is not your average strawberry crumble. Noreen Wasti has developed a uniquely delicious take on the classic, beloved summer dessert — keep this easy recipe in mind for upcoming summer potlucks.
"There are a million recipes for fruit crisps and crumbles out there, so I really wanted to add a few twists to mix it up. I use local summer strawberries with Brightland’s RAPTURE — balsamic vinegar and strawberries are truly the most luscious combination. The topping is a nutty mixture of flour, oats, pistachios, and black sesame seeds with ALIVE olive oil bringing it all together. It leans very subtly savory as the nuts, seeds, and olive oil balances the sweetness of the strawberries so well. I like to spoon the crumble into little cups and top it with a dollop of mascarpone cheese — you could do vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, crème frâiche, or even Greek yogurt. A simple, no-fail dessert that’s perfect to set the summer mood." - Noreen Wasti
- 1 1/2 lbs strawberries, hulled and halved, if big
- 1/4 cup sugar*
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp Brightland RAPTURE balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp light brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup pistachios, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp black sesame seeds
- pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup + 1 Tbsp Brightland ALIVE olive oil
*Note: If your strawberries are on the tart side, increase the sugar to 1/2 cup.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2 Add the strawberries, 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, RAPTURE vinegar, and vanilla to an oven safe dish (a 9-10 inch pie dish or 8x8 square pan will work great). Toss well until combined.
- 3 Separately in a medium-size bowl, combine the flour, oats, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, pistachios, black sesame seeds, salt, and ALIVE olive oil. Use your hands to combine until you have a crumble like topping. Texture wise — it should hold its shape like wet sand when molded.
- 4 Spoon the crumble topping evenly onto the strawberries and use the back of a spoon to flatten it a bit.
- 5 Sprinkle the top with the remaining two tablespoons of brown sugar.
- 6 Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the topping is very golden, and the strawberries are juicy and bubbly. Let cool slightly before serving.