Doughnut Peach Upside Down Cake with PARASOL CaramelRecipe by: Isabel Coss
Sweet treats better than Halloween candy from the pastry chef of Cosme and ATLA.
Isabel Coss is the pastry chef for Cosme and ATLA, Enrique Olvera and Daniela Soto-Innes’ contemporary Mexican restaurants in New York City, as well as Elio in Las Vegas. She first fell in love with cooking alongside her grandmother and fondly recalls early memories of the colorful candy street stands in Mexico City. She tells stories through her technique-driven desserts, celebrating and finding inspiration in local ingredients as well as the flavors she grew up with in Mexico. She took on her first kitchen job at the age of 17 as a bread baker in Enrique Olvera’s landmark restaurant Pujol in Mexico City.
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 tbs of Brightland Honey
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbs Brightland PARASOL champagne vinegar
- 1 tbs heavy cream
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 In a medium pot place butter, honey and sugar and cook until sugar starts caramelizing (around 5 minutes).
- 2 Remove from heat and add PARASOL, followed by heavy cream. Season with salt.
Doughnut Peach Upside Down Cake
- 5 doughnut peaches, cut in half without seeds
- 4 oz unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large brown eggs
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt or crème fraiche
- Juice of 1 lemon
- PARASOL Caramel
- 1 In a kitchen aid bowl with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until soft.
- 2 Add 1 egg at a time making sure to scrape butter from the bottom. Add the zest.
- 3 Fold in all your dry ingredients followed by the greek yogurt and lemon juice. Mix all well together.
- 4 Preheat oven to 350F. In an 8 to 10 inch cake pan, grease with butter and place PARASOL caramel at the bottom of the mold.
- 5 Layer the peaches to cover all bottom surface, then place the cake batter on the top and flatten batter.
- 6 Bake from 25 min to 30 min, or until you poke the cake with a tester and the poke comes out clean.
- 7 While still hot, very carefully flip over a plate revealing the peaches from bottom. Serve with whipped cream!