Heirloom Tomato Salad with Za’atar Coated FetaRecipe by: Noreen Wasti
It's officially too hot to cook, so our Chef in Residence has shared the ideal recipe for sweltering summer days. This easy tomato salad comes together in minutes and lets beautiful, ripe summer tomatoes really shine.
"Summer tomatoes have me running to Union Square Greenmarket in 93 degree weather. No regrets. It’s simply not summer without bursting, colorful tomatoes making an appearance on my plate at least once a day. This salad nails it — a simple glossy vinaigrette with California orange blossom honey, PARASOL vinegar, and ROSETTE olive oil brings subtle sweetness and a delicious garlicky note. Slabs of salty feta are coated in zesty za’atar, a cool party trick that looks very fancy, but literally takes a minute to do. A rainbow assortment of heirloom tomatoes cut in juicy wedges serves as the royal crown around the feta with fresh dill and flaky salt to finish. When the tomatoes are this good you really don’t need much else — maybe just some crusty bread on the side for dipping." - Noreen Wasti
- 1 Tbsp of Brightland California orange blossom honey
- 3 Tbsp Brightland PARASOL champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup of Brightland ROSETTE garlic olive oil
- 6 ounce block of feta
- 2 Tbsp za’atar
- 2 lbs colorful heirloom tomatoes (about 4 large), cut into wedges
- fresh dill, to garnish
- flaky salt
- 1 Combine the California Orange Blossom honey, PARASOL vinegar, and ROSETTE olive oil in a medium size bowl or jar. Whisk to emulsify and season with flaky salt.
- 2 Cut the feta block in rectangular slabs. Place the za’atar on a plate. Dredge the feta slabs in the za’atar until evenly coated on both sides.
- 3 To assemble, place the za’atar coated feta slabs in the middle of a serving plate and place the tomatoes around like a crown. Group in colors if you’d like for a colorful visual!
- 4 Spoon the vinaigrette over the tomatoes, less on the feta as it will wash off the za’atar coating.
- 5 Garnish with fresh dill and finish with flaky salt.